Sunday 21 February 2016

A Rookie Recruiter's Guide to Getting a Job


So this is a bit of a curveball post for this blog, but I've recently spent some time on the other side of the recruiting table which has been a really interesting experience and I wanted to share a few tips from that experience.

1. If the job advert says to send a cover letter, send a cover letter.
Or, read what the application process is. When I was looking for jobs, I was always mildly offended when I saw this included in job hunting advice posts but apparently some people really do need to be told this. Make sure you know exactly what you need to send in and to whom; otherwise you're disqualifying yourself straight away!

2. Tailor your application to the job you're applying for.
Once you know how you need to apply, make sure that you really show why you want to work for the company and how your skills line up to the job description. Don't be afraid to show just how passionate you are, it's what recruiters want to hear.

3. Proof Read! Proof Read! Proof Read!

4. Don't be afraid to ask to hear the question again.
I always thought that I had to answer the interview question straight away, in case the person interviewing me would think I was dumb for not being able to produce an answer within about 30 seconds. However, hearing the question again can help you clarify what is being asked and gives you extra time to think about what you want to say as well; it definitely doesn't make you look bad.

5. Interviewers want to give you the job.
Seriously, seriously, seriously. I was as nervous being on the interview panel as I have been when I'm the interviewee because I just so wanted everyone we were seeing to do well. We're not there to catch you out or anything; we're there because we want we liked your application form and we want to learn more about you and, ultimately, we want to be able to hire you! (This is certainly something that I'm going to use to be slightly less terrified of job interviews in the future)

Do you have any other top tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment